About Me

My photo
I am an International Development student from Canada who is studying in India on a semester abroad. I will be traveling and studying through India for five months from January until May.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Taj Mahal (Agra)


Finally after travelling and living in India for three months I can say that I have seen the Taj Mahal! I do not usually get very excited about buildings but the Taj Mahal is obviously something that you have to see when coming to India.

The Taj Mahal was built by Shah Jahan as a memorial for his second wife who died giving birth to their 14th child. Not long after the Taj Mahal was completed, Shah Jahan was overthrown by his son Aurandzeb and imprisoned in Agra Fort where for the rest of his days he could only gaze out at his creation through a window. Following his death, Shah Jahan was buried at the Taj Mahal alongside his second wife.

We arrived in Agra (the city of the Taj Mahal) in the evening and were really excited to see the Taj Mahal right away even though we were going in the morning. In the area surrounding the Taj Mahal, called the Taj Gang there are numerous restaurants claiming to have the best rooftop view of the Taj Mahal and we chose one that had been recommended in a guidebook. By the time that we got to the restaurant it was about 8:00 pm so it was dark out and we did not have the best view of the city skyline. We thought that we could make out the silhouette of the Taj Mahal from the rooftop and were a little disappointed although none of us would admit it until the next day. When we went back to that same restaurant for breakfast the next morning we realized that we mistook another building for the Taj Mahal. In the daylight, this restaurant did have the best view of the Taj Mahal.

The Taj Mahal is very touristy although I embarrassed it and enjoyed myself. The ticket for admission is the highest that I have paid anywhere so far. The foreigner price was 750 rupees and the Indian price was about 150 rupees and this allows you a one day, one time entry. I was a little disappointed that I could not come back and see the Taj at different times in the day so I made sure to take lots of pictures.





In order to avoid the crowds and heat, we got to the Taj Mahal at 6:30am. This time was perfect because it was quiet and peaceful and the lighting on the building was great. The garden walkway leading up to the Taj Mahal has of Indian and foreign tourists trying to get the best picture of themselves in front of the Taj. This is very funny to watch although I can not deny that I did the same.

My friend Kat had a really good line that she used when people asked her to take their photo. She would say, “so... do you want the building in the back or not?”.



I was surprised by how big the Taj Mahal actually is. I think that no picture can do justice to the Taj Mahal. The inside was not as impressive as the outside although it was very beautiful and elaborate- all marble. Apparently the Taj Mahal underwent a huge restoration project in the early 20th century and it looks as immaculate now as it did when it was constructed.

On the way out, I kept turning back to take one last look at the Taj many times. I felt very grateful to have been able to see the it and I found myself wondering if I would ever in my life be back. I hope that some day I will be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers